Skip to main content

Lakeside Summer Resort

Lakeside Summer Resort

Taking a look back at the history of the Lakeside Summer Resort.


By Liz Dommasch, Archivist

Located south of St. Marys and north of Embro, the first resort in Lakeside was established on the east side of the lake, in the early 1900s, on property owned by William Dalrymple. Known affectionately as Dalrymple Park, the area was known for its swimming and diving platform and for its dance pavilion. It also included a livery stable, bathhouse, boathouse, refreshment booths, and several summer cottages. Visitors would arrive by horse and buggy and then later by train to enjoy dances, horse races, sporting events, camping, fairs, and family functions. They would also come from far and wide to hear bands such as The Guy Lombardo Orchestra play; as well as to attend a large Farmers’ Picnic held on Labour Day. Sadly, by the 1930s the park would gradually fall into disuse, with sections being sold over the years. The pavilion, the final building standing, was torn down in the 1950s.

People, wagons, and other vehicles crowded around the Lakeside Summer Resort in Lakeside, Ontario.

Lakeside Resort – COA Lakeside Women’s Institute Tweedsmuir

In the 1930s John Sinkins purchased a piece of land on the south end of the lake, which would eventually be known as Lakeside Resort and included a new dance pavilion built in 1931. The new pavilion included benches around the edges and a low wooden fence around the dance floor. Couples wishing to dance would buy a five-cent ticket to enjoy three dances before the floor was cleared and another group of dancers entered. Dances were usually held on holidays over the summer and bands such as The Guy Lombardo Orchestra and the Skipper Orchestra would perform. However, by the 1960s, dances were being held every Saturday night and teen dances were held on Fridays. Visitors not only arrived for the dancing, but to enjoy activities such as swimming, fishing, boating, and even water skiing.

In the 1970s a new wood dance floor was added and by the early 1990s, a Sunday Jamboree with a roast beef dinner was introduced. New Year’s Eve dances became quite popular with a full course meal. Over the years, the resort also became a popular camping designation with playground equipment, paddleboat, and canoe rentals; as well as various events for campers held over the summer.

Today, Lakeside Resort is still operational (day use and overnight camping) and dances still continue at the pavilion known as Danceland. Dancers come from all over Ontario to enjoy live music and twirl around the dance floor.

A postcard featuring buildings at the Lakeside Summer Resort in Lakeside, Ontario.

A Drive on Lakeside Resort – Oxford Historical Society, J. Gruszka Postcard 0258

Search
I want to...
Connect...

Oxford County

21 Reeve Street, P.O Box
1614, Woodstock, Ontario
N4S 7Y3

Tel: 519-539-9800
Fax: 519-537-1053

General Email: customerservice@oxfordcounty.ca 
Email HR (Job Opportunities): hr@oxfordcounty.ca

Office Hours:
Monday to Friday 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
(open during lunch)

For an emergency outside of regular hours, please call 1-800-755-0394 and listen for instructions for after-hours emergency calls.

Follow us on

Subscribe

Stay up-to-date on our news, career opportunities, public notices and more by signing up for eAlerts.

Wasteline App

View schedules, receive reminders, and get sorting tips for your garbage and recycling. Download the App (Apple or Android)

Department Directory

The County of Oxford is the upper tier to eight Area Municipalities and is responsible for the provision of a wide range of services to its residents.

View Directory

Oxford County Map

Oxford County offers many geographic data services and mapping products through the Corporate Geographic Information System (GIS).

View Maps