Skip to main content

Photographers

Photography as we know it today began in the late 1830s when Joseph Nicéphore Niépce used a portable camera obscura to capture an image. With his success, photography progressed rapidly with the development of daguerreotypes, emulsion plates and wet plates that were developed almost simultaneously in the mid-to-late 1800s. As photography developed, so did the role of the professional photographer and the portrait studio.

In Tillsonburg, the earliest known commercial photographer was W.C. Calvert. Little is known about him, though he did work as a watchmaker and jeweler, and even a dentist, before opening his photograph gallery. Another early photographer, D.P. Groves, operated a business on Broadway Street in the 1860s which specialized in ambrotypes and photographs of “every description taken at reasonable rates”.

Advertisement for D.P. Groves photography, Broadway Street, Tillsonburg.

Broadway Street in Tillsonburg, east side looking south. The street is dirt with various building with awnings running along it.

Broadway Street in Tillsonburg, east side looking south.

  

Born in Roche, Cornwall England in 1842, James Pollard arrived in Canada when he was eighteen years old and settled near Mount Elgin, Dereham Township, before moving to Tillsonburg. With a natural gift in sketching and painting, James Pollard began his photography career in town in 1871 when he opened a gallery on Oxford Street. Following a fire, he operated as a photographer and fine art dealer at the corner of Ridout and Broadway until 1889 when his son, Fred, joined the business and they added stationary to their inventory. Fred would operate the business until his death in 1942 when his son, Douglas, carrying on the family trade. Douglas continued to operate the business until his death in 1967. The passing of Douglas Pollard marked the end of the Pollard Studio, a business that had served Tillsonburg for 97 consecutive years.

Other early photographers included Arthur Bowers, F.G. Carroll, Jacob Chapman, E.S. Hadcock and Mrs. H.M. Winans, who was the proprietor of the Tillsonburg Photographic Studio around 1874.

Back of a pink cabinet card from photographer E.S. Hadcock.

Cabinet card from E.S. Hadcock's photography studio [courtesy of Annandale N.H.S. & Museum]

 

  

Back of orange cabinet card from F.G. Carroll's photography studio. Feature a sketch of a hand holding a card.

Back of cabinet card from F.G. Carroll's photography studio [courtesy of Annandale N.H.S. & Museum]

 

  

Back of white cabinet card from Mrs. Winan's photography studio in Tillsonburg.

Back of cabinet card from Mrs. Winan's photography studio [courtesy of Annandale N.H.S. & Museum]

Search
I want to...
Connect...

Oxford County

21 Reeve Street, P.O Box
1614, Woodstock, Ontario
N4S 7Y3

Tel: 519-539-9800
Fax: 519-537-1053

General Email: customerservice@oxfordcounty.ca 
Email HR (Job Opportunities): hr@oxfordcounty.ca

Office Hours:
Monday to Friday 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
(open during lunch)

For an emergency outside of regular hours, please call 1-800-755-0394 and listen for instructions for after-hours emergency calls.

Follow us on

Subscribe

Stay up-to-date on our news, career opportunities, public notices and more by signing up for eAlerts.

Wasteline App

View schedules, receive reminders, and get sorting tips for your garbage and recycling. Download the App (Apple or Android)

Department Directory

The County of Oxford is the upper tier to eight Area Municipalities and is responsible for the provision of a wide range of services to its residents.

View Directory

Oxford County Map

Oxford County offers many geographic data services and mapping products through the Corporate Geographic Information System (GIS).

View Maps